Mobile Apps - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the priceBAM mobile app?
The priceBAM mobile app helps grocery shoppers make smart choices when they shop for their groceries in their local stores. The mobile app provides pricing, item, and store information on your fingertips when you are perusing your grocery store aisles.
How can I get the app?
The priceBAM mobile app is available from the Google Play Store and Amazon Appstore.
You may download the app from the Google Play Store using this link or click on the following image or scan the following QR code:
You may download the app from the Amazon Appstore using this link or click on the following image or scan the following QR code:
What features are available?
The priceBAM mobile app has an extensive list of features available to make your grocery shopping easier:
- View recently submitted prices by community members for various grocery items.
- Scan barcodes with a built-in barcode scanner (you can also use the ZXing barcode scanner) to quickly determine recent prices for the scanned item.
- View item information - PLU/barcode numbers, images, GMO status, sizing information, and more!
- If you do not see your grocery item, then you can help contribute by adding item information.
- View store information - recent prices for the store, address, phone numbers.
- Locate stores close to your current location.
- View map of stores near you using the built-in Google Maps integration.
The mobile app does not have the following features available on the priceBAM website:
- Upload images for items and stores
- Create, edit, and view store chains
- Create, edit, and view shopping lists
- Create, edit, and view shopping trips (you can only create a shopping trip with a single non-purchased item on the mobile app)
- Access to the community features like your own personal blog, community pages (site blog, message boards)
- Advanced search features in items and stores
However, the mobile app does have a few features that are not available on the priceBAM website:
- Use your device camera to scan barcodes
- Use your device GPS/wifi to determine stores closest to you
What are the minimal technical requirements?
The priceBAM mobile app requires a device to run Android version 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich MR1) or later.
The priceBAM mobile app is also optimized for larger sized devices, e.g. tablets. It is optimized for devices that have a diagonal size of approximately 8 inches and above. To be exact, the device's smallest display edge size must be 4.5 inches or greater in order for the app to be tablet-optimized for the device.
What Android app permissions are requested?
priceBAM does not require the following permissions. However, the below additional features are added when the following permissions are approved by the user:
- Camera - required for the barcode scanner
- Location - required to locate grocery stores closest to you
- Storage - required for Google Maps or Amazon Maps integration
Are you planning to release an app for Apple iOS?
priceBAM currently does not have plans to release an app for the Apple iOS platform.